From time to time you may notice that SharePoint Online does not display updated user photos in webparts.
You may see or experience something like this:
- Profile picture displayed in Office 365 Suite Bar: Yes
- Profile picture displayed in Office Delve: Yes
- Profile picture displayed in Outlook on the Web: Yes
- Profile picture displayed in Microsoft Teams: Yes
- Profile picture displayed in SharePoint People Web Part on a Modern SharePoint Page or trying to load user profile through custom web part on a classic SharePoint Page: No
There is a simple solution to this. Navigate to this URL in your SharePoint tenant:
- https://[tenant name here]-my.sharepoint.com/User%20Photos/Forms/Thumbnails.aspx?RootFolder=%2FUser%20Photos%2FProfile%20Pictures
This list stores three photos for each user in your Office 365 tenant.
The photos have the following naming convention and dimension requirements:
- username_tenantname_tld_SThumb.jpg: 42px x 42px
- username_tenantname_tld_MThumb.jpg: 78px x 78px
- username_tenantname_tld_LThumb.jpg: 300px x 300px
If my username was ryanclark, my tenant name was mrsp1, my TLD (top-level domain) was .com (could be .net, .org, .co, etc.), then we’d have the following:
Save (and possibly overwrite) the three images in the user photos library and you should be good to go. You will have to do a hard refresh and/or clear your cache to see the results on the front-end.
If you have any questions, reach out to me at anytime.